So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Possessions: Day 7



I had to make a short little visit back to my parent’s house at the last minute… so it made my 9 things a day a little tricky. I went alone (meaning no kids and no hubs) which was really weird.  I don’t know if I have ever done that since I have had kids. For day 6 I took several things to my mom for the preschool, so that worked out. Today was a tad trickier… I didn’t get back to town until 6pm, and not back to my house until 7pm.  So things leaving my house today, I knew probably weren’t going to happen.  So (for the sake of a clear conscience) I chose 9 “things” from my purse. I put 9 quarters in the shopping carts at Aldi’s.  I know, kind of lame.  But it made me feel better (though I will probably do a 9 items a day thing this week to even it out).

The last 36 hours was a great reminder of how our possessions are so not important. I was visiting grandparents that are not in good health.  Just watching my grandma talking about my grandpa and seeing both of them was really hard.  She would have given up everything in the house just to make him feel better.  Possessions will mean nothing to us in the end, so why do we hang on to them so tightly and just keep acquiring them (unnecessary things I mean) through the journey? Don’t get me wrong… I like “stuff” just as much as the next gal. But this whole process is really making me evaluate how much money has been wasted, and the things that could have been done with that money. 

Jesus spent his entire life on earth with simply the clothes on His back. What an example of how possessions don’t matter. His life doesn’t only inspire to live with less… but to live like the church… the early church. The church that helps one another and has the “what’s mine is yours” concept.  I know this is a dream world, I will be the first to admit that the concept is great, but the follow through is super hard. But it does make you think when you see people you love near the end… it just doesn’t matter.

On a lighter, non-related topic… it was a whirl wind 36 hours, but here are the highlights.  I got to see my mom and dad and all my grandparents.  My dad has a beard!!! He has never had a beard my entire life, so it was very funny to see him with a beard… I told him he looked very mountain man-ish. 

 He has lots of sheep that I got to go see (about 90 baby lambs).  He is really enjoying his retirement, and I love to see it… he worked really hard to get there. (FYI… do not where tennis shoes with treads in a sheep pasture… you will regret it.)  

This is not mud people :)
The weather was beautiful and I got to go for a run (haven’t been in about 2 weeks). There was a hill I felt kind of symbolized the journey… huge, hard hill to climb… but if you keep going, think of the things you will be able to see when you get to the top! 




Got to see a friend I haven’t seen in probably 5 years.  I love the kind of friends that you can just pick up after an extended period of time and it’s like no time has passed at all.  It was a great visit.  And I had a total of about 9 hours in a quiet car by myself… it was a much needed break. Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment