So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 7



So here are some things I discovered this weekend. First-There are so many times we don’t even miss media.  Eric and I ran a race with Miss (who is on the council) and Andrew this weekend.  We had a fabulous time and never missed the “no media rule”.  The kids stayed with my mom and dad and they went over night and the entire next day and never even asked to watch TV (according to my mother).  They did watch a movie as they were laying down the second night (which we deemed ok for overnights with other people), but all in all, not too bad. 

Second- I immersed myself into media before I ever even realize I was cheating. Eric got a fantastic opportunity to go to Rome, Italy for a week. What is the first thing I do when I hear? Google how much a plane ticket to Rome is to see if I can go with. About the third page in… thinking I may somehow be able to pull this off… I realize that I am on the internet for entertainment purposes!  I closed it out and texted Dana (council member) and asked her if it was cheating to spend time searching this thing out because I really wanted to go. 

Sidebar: Dana and I are also fasting beverages other than water this month for the Lenten season. Earlier in the month I had earned a calorie free day (no counting calories… eat what I want and not feel guilty) from a previous weight loss goal I had set.  I have been saving this day for almost 3 full weeks to use on my weekend away with the hubs.  I asked Dana if I could drink soda on this calorie free day… knowing that Dana is my lenient friend… and to my surprise she said no! It would be cheating!!! (I mean come on… I earned this before Lenten started, I should get to drink soda on this day! Sonic is calling my name!!! )So I have already told her I am holding a grudge and going to be mad at her this weekend. (I was slightly mad and almost drank the soda anyway… but I held strong and stuck with the water)

So when I texted Dana… I fully intend on the NO CHEATING policy to come right back into play (and I had already informed her I cheated already by goggling the plane ticket price) She said go for it!!! I was super surprised, but felt guilty none the less, so it stopped in its tracks right there. (if you are wondering… I’m not going to Rome… I am just being jealous of my husband and cursing the Dave Ramsey plan )


Eric and I after the Gladiator Mud Run.


Third thing I realized- 9.5-10 hours in the car with 4 children ages 3-8 with no movies, nooks or ipads is a very LOUD car.  So much singing , knock-knock joke telling, laughing… then came the fighting, crying, and the “how much longer” asking every 5 minutes.  There were lots of things I did on that trip… I sang, responded to lots of knock-knock jokes, I yelled (only twice… impressive if I do say so myself)… but the thing I found most refreshing was on the way home today.  I was super irritated… everyone was singing so loud and being super chipper, I was not in a great mood. I was just about to turn around and yell for everyone to be quiet when I started praying (in my head) over the noise. I just tried to think of every thing in that car I could possibly be thankful for.  The kids were loud, but they were laughing and singing, not crying or fighting.  We were warm and dry and it was cold and rainy outside.  We were safe and not being harmed.  Eric was singing and laughing with the kids, we were all together.  I had a clean bottle of water to drink (even though I still really wanted that soda) I was grateful that I had clean water to drink.  I was also super thankful that media month did not fall during the trip to Colorado… only the short trip to El Dorado. Very soon my attitude started to change.  I wasn’t mad and irritated at the noise anymore.  I was thankful for my loud crazy family and my clean water.  Maybe media free month won’t be all bad and God is going to teach me something during this process after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment