So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Possessions: Day 3



Today felt like an epic fail. Technically 9 (actually 14 if we are going “technically”) things were given away and left the house, but there was no rhyme or reason to it.  Someone needed to borrow some things for a birthday party, so I just told them not to return them.  Also gave away a few things and returned a few things. So technically I met the criteria, but I think it kind of defeated the purpose of intentionally and thematically giving or selling 9 things a day. 

I did however spend and astronomical amount of time cleaning, sorting, pitching and purging.  I went through all of the kitchen cabinets (which conveniently have no doors because they are being painted, so I could easily arrange, organize and purge) and got rid of a TON of stuff.  The garage sale pile(s) in the basement are becoming massive! I hope to continue sorting and purging rooms and closets this week and pricing everything next week for the sale.

So the plan for tomorrow is to be intentional about my nine items BEFORE I move on to the pulling for garage sale and pitching stuff.  I got a couple of “leads” today of some places that could possibly use some of the stuff that is piling up around here, so phone calls first thing in the morning and hopefully a drop off by the afternoon.

Side bar: I was doing a little Bible reading at T-ball practice tonight (Hey… I take the time I can get people… and I was 3 kids down and one on the field :)) in Galatians.  I know I have read this a million times, but I read it from The Message version tonight and it just hit me in another way… Gal 6:4-5 Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.
Careful explorations of who I am and the work I was given? Well just because 10 years ago I didn’t think this is where I would be or what my life would be like doesn’t mean that I am in a bad place or disappointed. It just means it’s not what I envisioned I was going to be given.  God has a great way of doing what is His will, not our “plans”. So now I need to do the work that has been given, and not keep looking for “what am I supposed to be doing?” I have plenty to do right in front of me that I need to be sinking myself into. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Take responsibility… do the creative best you can.  Well… a nine month fast was my creative attempt… I pray that I do it to the best of my ability and God uses me and teaches me in a way I could never imagine.
This “comparing yourself” was also the topic at MOPS today (Michelle Haveman did a phenomenal job speaking).  This is something I really struggle with. Whether it is comparing myself to others, or to my “pre-mommy” self, or just to the idea of what I should be… I struggle with it….always have.  I think God was really trying to get it through to me today (you know with the whole bringing it up multiple times, in different ways thing) that this journey is MY journey. Am I basing it off someone else’s original idea?- yes. Have a million and one other people done their version of this?-absolutely. Do I have friends that are doing the “same” fast as I am with different goals and intentions during the month?- you bet.  I just pray that God will continue to give me the ability to focus on MY journey and what it is that He wants ME to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment