So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Monday, April 8, 2013

Possessions- Day 1



So I am not sure whether to be excited about the amount of stuff to get rid of or completely disgusted? For today’s nine items I went shoe shopping. :) I went through all of my shoes and kids shoes.  Some were pulled for the garage sale, but there is an organization called the Shoe Man Water Project that will be getting  a nice chunk of them.

www.shoemanwater.org   Visit the site for more details and drop locations near you.

In a nutshell, the guy collects shoes (all kinds of shoes- new or gently worn-as long as they are a pair), exports the shoes to street vendors in places like Haiti, Kenya and South America and uses the funds from exporting for clean water programs in communities around the world. Super great concept.  Also a super great thing for people that have WAY too many shoes and they are “gently worn” (this would be our family) to do some good with them rather than take up more space in a landfill somewhere.

I need to say this… I like shoes… like a lot.  I love to find a great sale and get a cute little pair of shoes that will go “perfect” with that little outfit. I knew this about myself.  I also knew that I had too many shoes (this is from the constant digging to find what I am looking for and realizing I don’t wear half of them that are in my closet making it more difficult to find what I am actually looking for). What I didn’t know about myself… there are lots of shoes in my closet that I have never gotten rid of because I had an emotional attachment to them.  Yes, I know… ridiculous, but true.  As I was going through all my shoes tonight and getting rid of scuffed dress shoes, worn tennis shoes, cute little slip-ons, heels that I maybe wore once, and flip-flop after flip-flop after flip-flop… I was getting a tad emotional handing off my shoes. My wedding shoes were in there, shoes from college, my first pair of running shoes, lots of cute little shoes that I can specifically remember wearing (or my kids wearing) on fun occasions. Lots of memories wrapped up in that giant pile of shoes.  


I know they are going to much better place (you know with the whole “giving people clean water to drink” thing and all) so it was a tad easier to let them head on out the door.  47 pairs of shoes later (please do not be completely disgusted with the number) I think my 9+ items leaving the house today is a success for day one.
 
Found some more in the garage after I took the pic.... so many to get rid of!

No comments:

Post a Comment