So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Possessions: Day 14



It has been a crazy busy whirl wind the past couple of days. My sister flew in and back out within 36 hours (that is a lot of time to and from and at the airport this week), I had very little sleep this week (which makes me weepy and short tempered), tie in all the other day to day responsibilities (because life does not stop when you are tired and have a goal), and garage sales are soooo much work!

Friday was a long day. From the time I woke (6:15am) to the time I went to bed (12:30am) I worked on garage sale stuff.  It was such a long day. My friend Jessica took the girls for the day (praise the Lord for friends who understand and steal my children) and Missy (council member) came and helped all morning. We hauled up from the basement and organized in the garage and then sorted, and sorted, and sorted some more clothes (Missy must really love me because this was a really long, not fun task). There was so much stuff to get rid of!

Missy and I's accomplishment for the morning.
I also had the kids go through their rooms. They had to pick a minimum of 9 things each to get rid of.  This was very interesting to see their personalities come out in this task. Brayden would not get rid of things that had sentimental value, even if they were broken. Landen gave TONS of stuff, even things he loves and plays with, Eleni really struggled with giving up anything and ultimately chose things that she didn’t like or were broken (apparently the purging on the dresses was a one day affair… we are working on it), and Addi gave me Eleni’s stuff (she is 3 and cute so I cut her a little slack :)).  So personalities were shinning through.  The boys also decided to have a bake sale to make money. They purchased their products (with their own money) and baked on Friday night and sold out on Saturday morning. My little entrepreneurs.

Salesmen hard at work!
Making their signs
So the good news is… we got rid of a TON of stuff! All of the stuff that did not sell is not coming back into the house (as promised to my husband).  Everything is bagged up and ready to be distributed to its locations next week. Excited about that! The bad news is… I didn’t get to everything I wanted to before the garage sale, so there is still so much stuff to get rid of. Got through kids clothes, all boy toys, some girl toys, the kitchen, stamp sets (but not all my craft supplies), all my bags (there were an embarrassing amount of them), all the living room (all the furniture is gone… we are literally in folding chairs and blankets on the floor with the TV on the floor), all summer stuff and costume bins, and any leftover baby stuff hanging about. I did not even start on our room (aside from the shoe purge the first day). 

Garage sale in full swing
Tomorrow is a drop of day for some of the stuff, other than that, I am taking the day off from purging. This coming week is supposed to count toward the garage sale, but after the deliveries are made (last one on Wednesday)… I think I am going to attempt to start tackling some of these areas that were supposed to be done before the garage sale.  I still have so much stuff to purge. I have also decided (after a conversation with my husband) to incorporate “possessions fast” somehow into every month until the end of the fast. I’m not sure what that means yet, but somehow there will continue to be the act of purging/simplifying put into every month (even if it is only one day). I will keep you posted.

my little helper for the day
So something funny is kind of happening while I am typing this (because I type in my journal before I post to the blog)… in the above paragraph in the second sentence I cannot get the word AFTER to not be highlighted. I have no idea how I did it, but somehow the word changed colors and won’t change back.  And not to get all “everything is a sign” on you… but I find it kind of ironic (me being the person that is always trying to “plan” or “push forward”) that the important word that is now standing out is AFTER. So, sign or not, I am going to take that to mean that I really need to not work on the next purge until AFTER the deliveries are made. We shall see what that holds for the next couple of days (if anything… it may be nothing but a sign that I am not a computer literate person ;)).

My Bible verses that I am memorizing this month are Matthew 6: 20-21. I like the New Living Translation the best for these verses, so that is what I am going with.
Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.  Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

I long to live this out. I do not do a good job of this, but I am gaining clarity and seeking wisdom, and hope to become better with time. It is such a simple, yet hard thing to do. Desires of your heart… that kind of just smacks you in the face. What I want to be the desires of my heart and what I am actually living out with my actions in my day to day life, don’t always match up. I am so glad God is so patient with me and is a merciful and forgiving God.

 
the boys
the girls
Highlight: We had a trivia night with friends at church tonight to support the Bible Bowl Team. We did not win (came in 3rd) but we had fun and ate well.  Love having good friends to hang with… especially at the end of such a long, long week! Thanks for stopping by to have a read!
me and the hubs

No comments:

Post a Comment