So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 1



First day of media month started out with what I thought was a super sweet moment… twas not. I was laying in bed at 7:15 listening to Eric talk (though I couldn’t hear exactly what he was saying). There was no kid noise so I was thinking to myself, “how sweet. He is letting me sleep in and reading to all of them since they aren’t allowed to watch tv or be on a screen.” Then reality hit… every child, about 30 seconds apart, started showing up at my bedside, “Daddy is on a screen” “Mommy, you said no more screens until Easter and daddy is on a screen.” “I thought we weren’t allowed screens? How come Daddy gets too?” “I’m hungry… Daddy hasn’t got us breakfast, he is on a screen“.  I walk downstairs to see not one, but three screens going and him talking on the phone… ahh work on a Sunday morning.  This is why I added the * on internet, just didn’t realize that it would actually be happening at home (especial within the first 7 hours of start time).  It is very hard to explain this concept to small children, but none the less, we pushed forward.
The sermon this morning was specifically and strategically placed on THIS very Sunday of starting the 9 month fast… I am sure of it.
We also had to establish some ground rules that weren’t really thought through.  We are doing this as a family, but we can’t expect other people outside of our home to just turn their TV off when we come because we have decided to fast it.  So, grandma’s house became an issue immediately following church. We have decided that if we are there as a family for just a couple of hours, the kids can find something else to do, or prepare and bring an activity to do.  If it is a sleepover (anywhere) or if other people are asked to watch our children, we have decided (for the sanity of the person watching them) the rule can be void.  So, exception making has already started… less than 12 hours in, I hope this is not a foreshadow of what is to come.
I had a long run and grocery shopping trip, so I was gone all afternoon. No temptations for me. When I came home, my living room was a new space. Couches moved around and the entertainment center… gone! Eric moved it out (we are selling at the garage sale next month) and the TV gone!  He thought it would be less of a temptation for all of us if was out of sight.  This is why I love this man.  So, day one down.

No comments:

Post a Comment