So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Monday, December 2, 2013

Spending Month: Day 22

Good friends can sometimes be very humbling. I have some really good friends. My friend Natalie and I were talking a couple weeks back about one of the bummer parts of this fast is the entertainment factor. Yes, there are all kinds of creative ways to create entertainment without spending money… and we have and are doing that (really we have no choice… so we do that or be bored :)). But there are some things that you have to spend money on in order to be able to do. The movies for instance… it requires spending cash to go. Also… eating out.- can’t do it. Can we spend a month skipping movies and eating out… absolutely! Our family does it all the time. But the not spending money, it does make date nights and social outing with friends more of an effort… they require thinking and planning and sometimes a bit of humility.  
As far as social settings without money this month, I tried having people into my home more often.  Note the word TRIED. Here is the problem with that… 95% of the people I hang out with during this season of life have children… that makes them busy, committed else where, and it is cold and flu season. Life happens, people are busy, and kind people choose not to spread germs, so I ended up actually only having Natalie (and I’m pretty sure it took a re-schedule at that) into my actual home for lunch and a playdate with the kids. I do enjoy having people into my home, and know I don’t do it nearly enough… so it is my mission to get people here! That’s what the Lord says, right? 1 Peter 4:9 Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. 

 Lots of things hinder me from inviting people in… a messy house, ill behaved children, no fancy meal prepared. And I think there is a time for all of those things… I do! I like to make people feel special and like I put forth effort for them to be there. But I don’t think it has to happen ALL OF THE TIME.  I think people just want to feel loved and wanted (I know I do… so I assume the same applies to lots of people out there). They usually don’t care about the toys in the floor or dishes in the sink (it might even make them feel normal). Lots of times my mom friends just want someone to sit down and have a grown-up conversation with… they don’t care if you are fixing chicken salad sandwiches or a 5 course meal. I just need to love people. And when you love people, you invite them in, right? So it is my mission… bring people in and build relationships. What better way than over dirty dishes and a chicken sandwich. :)

Humility- Natalie took me to the movies on day 21. This was hard for me… I’m not sure why. I love hanging out with Natalie and I was super excited about the movie. It is the simple fact that someone else paid my way. I didn’t earn it; it was a gift that was just handed to me without asking for anything but my company in return. This is what Jesus does. He offers us a gift of eternal life and all He asks in return is for us to walk with Him. Why is this so hard? Because we don’t feel like we have earned it? We don’t feel worthy? I know I struggle with this.  But I am so thankful the gift has been offered and I am choosing to receive it. It has been an awesome time being in the company of Jesus. He has taught me so much about me over the last almost 33 years, but the last 10 months have been and AMAZING ride. Best choice ever!
Thanks for joining me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment