So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Clothing



I am a tad nervous for this month… actually terrified for this month. I will be wearing only 9 articles of clothing for the entire month. When trying to decide what qualifies and what doesn't I had to seek council opinions (which varied a lot) and weigh in the “what is weighing on my heart” factor. Here is the purpose of the month:

Purpose: How important is my appearance? How do I view myself or care about how others view my outward appearance?  How much stuff do I have that I don’t need?

My List:
1. Shoes (running shoes and sandals) count as one
2. Long sun dress
3. Running shorts
4. Running shirt
5. Comfy pants
6. T-shirt
7. Jeans
8. Short sundress (could also be worn as a shirt with jeans)
9. Swimsuit

Undergarments do not count, so I will be wearing them (you are welcome). Also, after much consideration and opinions (that varied drastically) weighed in by council members, I am counting camisoles in the undergarment department.  The guideline with this is they can only be worn under something for modesty purposes, no wearing them as a shirt alone.
I can not wear jewelry or accessories (scarves, pins, flowers, hats, etc.) except for my wedding ring.
I have decided I will wear make-up, but only my basics that I would wear daily.. Tinted moisturizer, bronzing beads, mascara and chap stick.

Hair ties or bobby pins will not count as accessories, but they are only to be used for practical purposes (aka…no fancy up-dos). No "tools" this month (straightener, curling iron, hot rollers, etc.). Blow dryer was put on the list of acceptable things.

I really debated about if the swimsuit should count... it was almost unanimous that it should NOT count by council, but I decided (this is one of those weighing on my heart factors) that I have to count it. It is something I can not do without (unlike undergarments... which I could, but won’t, because technically I could still go in public without them), so I feel it should count.  I can’t swim or teach lessons naked or in any other article of clothing I have, so I am counting it.

I don't have a jacket or long sleeve anything on my list, so I hope it actually becomes May weather and I don’t freeze all month (this is were most council people told me to switch out the swimsuit for a jacket or long sleeve something).

I really struggled with my running shoes/clothes being put into this month. I debated taking the month off because currently, with the stiches in my knees, I can’t do much.  I don't know when I will be back to running and I didn't want all these spots to go to things that I wont get to use a good portion of the time. I am just praying I heal quickly so I can get back into it soon.

Here are the 2 exceptions for the month:
1.     Eleni’s Birthday Party- I can get dressed up (as we do for every birthday party in the Kriete family) in costume… whatever that ends up being. The council was in a unanimous decision, so I feel ok about this 2 hour cheat.
2.    My YMCA staff shirt- If, on the off chance, I get called in to sub for pre-school at the YMCA, I will be allowed to wear my staff shirt.

I think the hard part was making the decision on what articles to have for my nine. After all was said and done and I took the picture, I hope I don’t become depressed from the lack of color in my wardrobe this month.

My biggest fear this month: It might be a challenge and it might not be to stick to the 9 choices… that we will find out rather quickly I think. But what I fear most this month is the lessons that I will learn. Self image is probably my biggest struggle, and I am afraid of what I will learn and how I will learn it. My husband has already mentioned, “I wonder how many breakdowns we will have this month?”  It is going to be a challenge.

Thanks for stopping by to read.  This month is going to be interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that makes me sound horrible....I was talking about breakdowns on the car Cass.... ;)

    ReplyDelete