So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Waste



Outline
Purpose: Be aware and thankful for God’s creation and our community and teach the kids to respect and take care of it.

Guidelines
1.     Buy local- farmer’s markets, family owned grocery, Mom/Pop Restaurants
2.    Recycle… Everything possible.
3.    Complete 4 Earth Friendly Projects
4.    Conserve energy and water
5.    Attend community events for entertainment
6.    Buy second hand, thrift, and independent sales people in our community (no big chains i.e. Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s, etc.)
7.    Research and find a worthy local charity that we can donate to (either time or monetarily) on a regular basis.

This is an all family participation month. There might be a couple of things that end up being a little tricky with these rules… and I should probably expand upon some of these to make it clear the goal.

First of all “local”, by my definition, does not mean New Haven. Do I plan to try to stay here as much as possible? … absolutely. But I will venture on to Washington and the Franklin County area, as long as I am shopping local farmers, family owned businesses. No chain stores (still trying to decide if Goodwill falls into the “chain store” or “support the local community” category) is the goal for the month.  We are traveling to El Dorado Springs to visit the fam for a couple of days, so we will try our best to be supporting their local community for the days we are there. 

We recycle anyway, but we plan to break it down and be super strict about it this month. If it can be recycled, it will go into the proper recycling receptacle… no trash can treasures this month. I’m sure the kids will get into it, and Eric will hate it. :)

4 Earth Friendly projects… these will be determined as we go along, though I have some things in mind. I am hoping to accomplish more than 4 of these, but a minimum of 4 is the requirement. 

Conserving Energy and Water… there will be lots of things that go along with this. I will keep you updated throughout the month.

We will be attending Community Events for entertainment purposes. There are lots of things to do in our community and the surrounding area, so we will be taking advantage of those things this month. We will see you in a month Redbox and Little Cesar’s… 

Buy second hand, thrift, and support the independent sales people in our area.  I am a tad worried about this one. There are some things that might become a little tricky, seeing as school starts during this month and all of my children need new shoes. I also have a couple of specific things I am in need of, that I am praying I can find at a local store before the month is over. We shall see.

Finding a local cause to support…. I’m not sure in what capacity this will be, either monetarily/donations or with our time, but I would like something that the whole family can participate in. I am looking forward to where God leads us on this.

So that is it… there is the plan for the month. I am looking forward to learning lots this month and growing with my family by my side.

Thanks for joining me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment