So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Waste: Day 4



The kids and I went to mom and dad’s for several days. For those who don’t know, I grew up in a small town. One of the benefits of this (especially this month) is almost EVERYTHING is locally owned/operated. Aside from the Pizza Hut, McDonalds, and Sonic… there are not really big chain stores there to shop from. Within hours of being there, I had already hit several local places and totally scored! I went to Do-Dads and found something perfect for one of our earth friendly projects, a bike helmet for me (been looking for months as to not have to pay $25 for one), and the best thing of all…. Shoes for the boys! Brand new, still have tags on them, the perfect size, only $4 a piece shoes that I just knew I wouldn’t be able to find this month shopping second hand stores before school started. God likes to give me those little encouraging moments just when I need them. :)

We then headed into town to pick up Pogo’s Pizza, fresh peaches and eggs from the local green house, made a stop at the conservation office (to talk about the possible mountain lion getting the sheep), headed downtown to Alli’s Flower Shop, Dad stopped at Ehler’s (local hardware store) to pick up a drain rack for me (as to not run the dishwasher anymore this month), then back home. Afternoon=Success!!!


The kids found lots of fun weird things to play with at Marmee and Grandad’s.

Side note: This was completely embarrassing growing up to always have tons of weird, random things around… but has turned out to be an awesome, fun thing for the grand-kids to have lots of new “discoveries” every time they go home.

And then we spent the evening picking things out of the garden and playing on hay bales.  All in all I would say the first day away from the house on this fast was a success! The kids had a ton of fun and I felt very “local” and “green” today!
  



Tomorrow is Amish country... I am super excited!
Thanks for joining me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment