So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Monday, July 8, 2013

Food: Day 23

Vacation while on a food fast has taught me a couple of things...

First of all... My perspective of food has changed. Not at all how I thought it would change during this month, but definitely has changed. I thought I would appreciate the wonderful tastes of the amazing food God provides in its most "real" form (which I have on occasion) and no longer crave that "junk" that is so unhealthy and processed. Well, that's not the case. I do still crave the chocolate candy bar, cookies, chocolate cake, cinnamon rolls, melted cheese, pizza, and bread (oh how I miss bread). BUT I now have that little bit of knowledge (23 days in) that I don't need it, or it isn't what can make me feel better.

Second... the lack of being able to enjoy the food that everyone else around me (the non-fasting approved food)is enjoying,  9 times out of 10 gets one of two reactions.

 1) I remove myself from the food part of the situation and try to embrace the moment around me. Like walking away from the potato chips that everyone is enjoying and finding a nice rock to take in God's creation. Or going for a walk instead of enjoying dessert.

Eric snapped this pic of me removing myself from the situation :)
2)I am one crabby monster. My husband actually said to me, "Seriously... go get a candy bar or something! Remember you chose to do this." (This was after my fourth trip to the movies, which by the way is very abnormal for me, during food month). I am sad to admit that this is my reaction way more often than I would like it to be. I thought I would have this one under control after the first week or two, but alas... I am still negative Nancy... and I hate that.

Today we spent 6 hours on the Colorado River with 7 children under the age of 10 with 101 degree weather.  The everyone eating chips and sandwiches totally didn't bother me (even while I was eating sunbutter and celery). It was the sheer exhaustion and everyone going for slushes afterward that was hard. I just kept telling myself... 5 more days... I can do anything for 5 days.

God has given me some amazing moments of peace when I thought I was at my end. He has also given me a freedom from the thought that food has control over me. I have the power to control my reaction toward food (or the lack of ) in any given situation. Though I don't always react how I would like to, I know I have the power to react differently. And I am praising God for that today.

Thanks for joining me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment