So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Food Month


Purpose: To be thankful and respectful of the natural food God has given.

5 Things I will be giving up:
1.     Added Sugar- real and artificial
2.    Beverages other than water
3.    All dairy
4.    All grains (including corn)
5.    Processed food- specifically things containing carrageenan, MSG or sulfites

This leaves basically fruit, veggies, and lean/non-processed meats.

I am basing this month’s fast around the Whole30 food program. There are a couple of reasons I choose to go this route:

1-    Reading through the program it sounds exactly like what I had envisioned this month to be (minus a few minor things).  It basically has you eating everything natural (directly the way God created it) with out a bunch of stuff added in. And it has you eating the things your body was created to consume. Win-Win!

2-   -This plan is already created and has rules to follow without me making it up. This was a super appealing to have something already lined out with what is cheating and what is not. Much easier on my part as far as creating the boundaries goes… and like they say “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.”

3- There is support and resources available. Aside from the people doing this program with me during the month (council member Missy and my dear friend Kariann) there are tons of people out there in the lovely internet world (and some local friends too) that have been there, done that, and survived it. They can give tips and encouragement… and we all can use a little bit of that!

If you want to check it out, here is the website I am using:http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

I am going to be super honest…this month TERRIFIES me!!! I know that good things will come of it, it always does. But I love cheese, I love bread, I super duper love sugar. I know there are lots of things out there that are good for me that are delicious, and I am counting on those things this month, but I will miss those processed, tasty, convenient foods.


My fears/dreads for the month:

1.     Eating out- I might become an unsocial recluse because I am afraid of making a wrong food choice at a restaurant.

2.    Special occasions- I know there are going to be birthday parties, baby showers, field trips and such I have during food month and the likelihood of being able to eat the yummy food available isn’t super great.

3.    Vacation- our vacation is the last 12 days of the fast… I seriously do not even want to think about this.

4.    Staying focused on the purpose-I don’t want to become side tracked by the possibility of loosing a few pounds or inches during the month. Though I wouldn’t complain if it happened… it is not the purpose.

My family is semi-participating in this month. My children have decided to give up pizza and ice cream for the entire duration of the month (sadly we eat these things almost once a week). Eric hasn’t decided if he is whole heartedly participating yet, but the kids and I are working on him. :) They will also be eating Whole30 approved dinners, because I am not fixing 2 meals every night. I might fix something extra like pasta or corn or bread with their meal that I won’t eat, but for the majority of the evening meals they will be eating like me. 

I ate so horrible today in preparation for this month that I am welcoming the whole foods with open arms. The kids and I went to SnoBiz this afternoon and ordered pizza for dinner as a last hurrah before the fast.

I know so many of you already eat this way and this may seem like a breeze to you… but I expect it to be a challenge. Any encouragement from the “other side” where the grass is greener is much appreciated and very much welcomed. One of my favorite things it said on the website was this:

Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard.

Though I don’t drink coffee, the point was taken loud and clear. There are so many things in life that are more difficult than eating the wonderful food God has supplied us with. So I am trying to go into this fast with that mind set.  Someone please remind me of this 3 days from now when I am a monster and crying for a Diet Vanilla Coke from Sonic. :)

This should be a very interesting month.

Thanks for joining me on the journey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment