So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Monday, November 4, 2013

Spending Month: Overview



Purpose: Know where our money goes and make sure it has a purpose and isn’t wasted. To be a good steward of what the Lord has provided.
I will only spend money at 7 different locations.

1.     Bill Pay (this is all of the monthly bills piled into one utilities, phone, house, ect.)
2.    Gas (I did not pick 1 gas station because we will be traveling over Thanksgiving and need to get gas outside of New Haven)
3.  Aldi (grocery)
4.  Save-a-Lot (grocery)
5.  School
6.  Doctor/Dentist (for any medical issues that may arise… this will also include medicine if need be)
7.    Wal-Mart (this is the “in case” store)

This month has me a little freaked out, for so many reasons. This month needed a bit of preparation… I did do some, but did not prepare as well as I should have. And then there are some things that are just luxuries we enjoy that are not on our spending list this month.

1st Stress… Family pictures. So I did manage to get the photographer paid before the month started (literally in the mail the day before)… I did NOT have outfits picked out or hair cuts (my boys are in full on shaggy mode and need hair cuts desperately. The girls need trims.) I am hoping I have matching/coordinating clothes in everyone’s current sizes and Eric doesn’t butcher the boys hair with the at home hair cuts. Trying to decide if I attempt to trim the girls on my own, or just let it be. This is a tad stressing me out.

2nd Stress- No eating out. I know this is a complete luxury, but one that I very much enjoy. We don’t do it super often, but we do eat out every Sunday after church, lots of times on Friday nights we grab a pizza and redbox (which is also a no-go this month), our dates almost always involve eating out, and we will be traveling over Thanksgiving… so preparing food ahead instead of stopping. None of these are horrible or hard, it will just be more planning and preparing on my part.

3rd Stress- Christmas Shopping! This is a really horrible month to limit my options on shopping. Originally I had planned to get most of my shopping done during October, but then we were a part of the lovely government shutdown during October, so I didn’t spend any extra on gifts, not knowing when we would get a paycheck again. So very little Christmas shopping is done.

4th Stress- Black Friday and Union Craft Fair. :( This isn’t so much of a stress as a sad day for my money saving/craft loving heart. I know I probably spend money on things I shouldn’t (buy because it is a good deal/cute… not because I need it) during these two events, so in the long run it will probably be for the best… though I will probably be grumpy about it.

I really hated putting school and doctor/dentist down as a place to spend money. I feel like it is a waste of 2 spots that may not get used. BUT… if something comes up, I need to be able to pay these people to get the services, so alas they are on the list. Wal-Mart was my catch all. I will do a majority of grocery shopping at the two other locations, but if school projects or other things come up that require something not provided at those 2 stores… I won’t have to feel guilty that a Wal-Mart trip was required.

Also it should be noted what I define as spending. Spending is using money to get something in return for OUR family. I’m not counting tithing or any donations that we regularly give (or anything the Lord puts upon our hearts to give in addition to our regular giving this month) as spending. That is considered giving. I don’t think the Lord will frown upon that.

It should also be noted that Eric has not decided if he will participate in this month. So, though he may not, all family and personal (for me) purchases will be limited to these 7 locations. (Basically what I am saying is, if you see Eric eating out with someone for lunch or walking around Lowes… that doesn’t mean I cheated, it means he is choosing not to participate! :))

This should be an interesting month. Can’t wait to see what God has in store!

Thanks for joining me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment