So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Spending Month: Day 15



We had a girl’s weekend… without spending money… and it was fun! 

Eric and the boys went deer hunting this weekend. It was the boys first time to go, and apparently deer camp is fun “boy” place to be. They seemed to love it. I think Landen enjoyed the “hunting” part more than Brayden, but just being away with their dad, grandpa, and uncles  I think made them feel special.
Headed to deer camp.

The girls and I were left at home to figure out something fun and girly to do without spending money. I will admit my first instinct was to pout about all the fun things we “could” be doing but can’t because of the spending restrictions. I have been dying to take the girls to the American Girl Doll restaurant… and this would have been a great weekend to do it, but alas, it was not on the list. So what should we do? 

First of all you should know, the girls are grounded from nail polish… that put a damper in the “girly” part of any original thoughts I might have had. (They have been grounded since September and get to paint again on Thanksgiving… it is a long story that involves nail polish, carpet, and me scrubbing for 2+ hours and all kid nail polish being pitched).

So I tried to think of all the fun things they like to do and incorporate them into our weekend. Redbox was out, so we headed to the library again for a girly movie or two. The Last Unicorn… who remembers this? I remember watching it when I was little, and this was their pick… so yeah for reminiscing. 

My girls love to craft, so Saturday morning we headed to Orschelns for their free kid clinic to make glove turkeys. I thought it was super lame… but the girls loved it! Another win!

Glove Turkeys
Saturday night I let them choose dinner. My girls are good eaters, and by that I mean, they like real food. If I would have asked the boys what they wanted for dinner it would have been something like hotdogs or chicken nuggets… but my girls… Cream cheese chicken chili… yum-o! Something I could enjoy too! So I put down a table cloth, served them in in the “fancy” dishes, with cloth napkins and decorations, and had sparking grape juice in a bucket of ice. I thought Eleni was going to jump out of her skin with excitement! She kept saying things like, “this is so special… good thing no boys allowed” and “I love you so much mom… this is so fancy”. My favorite was when I poured her sparkling grape juice… “It’s just so sparkly and bubbly… it’s kind of like Sprite until you swallow it”. They were super excited, which made me super excited about having a special moment with them. It took so little effort, no money, and was way better than driving to the city and spending mega bucks on dinner at the American Girl Doll restaurant. Don’t get me wrong… I will do this some day… but this was a different kind of special.

Fun glasses!
Fancy dinner
We rounded out our weekend with the final movie, Secret of the Wings (with Tinkerbelle and Periwinkle). Both girls got dressed in costumes to represent each of the sisters in the movie and we all snuggled on the couch before bed. 

Tinkerbell and Periwinkle
Though I could think of a lot of fun things we could have done, it was a pretty awesome girl weekend without spending a penny! Lots of fun memories and some pretty great quality time.

Thanks for joining me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment