So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, DO IT ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Friday, June 15, 2018

Food Month Purpose and Guidelines

Food Month is upon us! Eric surprised me for Mother's Day with a plane ticket home to see my dad the first week of July. I really don't want to be focusing on a fast while I am there, so I decided to not have a week break. So we went straight from clothes month to food month.

 Not going to lie... food month is by far the scariest, hardest month for me. I really, REALLY enjoy food... like a lot. I enjoy all kinds of healthy foods, but I also enjoy not so healthy food.

Purpose: To enjoy and appreciate the food that the Lord provides. To understand and appreciate what it would be like to only live off of things that I grow and my neighbors/community grow.

Guidelines: I will be living off the land. :) I will only be eating things that I grow in my garden or I can purchase from a local farmer or Amish.


Family Participation: Eric has decided to give up all sweets for the month. The kids are all giving up pizza and ice cream for the month. We had a "last supper" of pizza and ice cream on Sunday night!

Exceptions: There will be a few exceptions to the guidelines...
1. I will be allowed salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil.
2. I will be allowed bread if I can find some that is made with no sugar and no white flour (this might mean no bread)
3. I will be allowed to eat things I have previously canned from my garden or local farms.

Challenges: What is not a challenge about this month? I don't have much actually producing in my garden yet, but I am hoping that it will be soon. I am heavily relying on local farmers for meat and produce, especially at the beginning of the month.

Fears: Everything about this month scares. I LOVE food. I eat food as a happy celebration. I eat food when I'm sad. I eat food when I'm bored. I pretty much have a very unhealthy relationship with food and I know this month is going to be eye opening and probably kick my booty.

So here is to the next 28 days of living off the land!

Thanks for joining me on the journey.



1 comment:

  1. I'm curious as to why you can't use store bought flour (most pioneers did, or had their grain milled) to make your own bread, cookies, pizza, etc.? You are such a trooper for doing this and I really admire you.

    ReplyDelete